|Chief of Krolewicza Dragoons GM Jean de Freneuse|
& private of the same regiment
Drawing by B. Gembarzewskii
Dragoons of Royal Prince (Krolewicza in Polish) was created in 1717 from dragoon regiment of podstoli litewski & dragoon squadron of Krolewicza. Regiment got 3rd (after Crown Guard & Krolewej/Queens) seniority among dragoons.
First chief was general-major Jean-Batist de Freneuse, colonel G. Stepfens. According to Gembargewski & his Rodowody pulkow polskich… since 1726 the chief was Skórzewski Fryderyk Franc. (general-major, podczaszy litewski). Since 23.IX.1759 - Skórzewski Franc. (gen. lejtn. 1761), in December 1773 - Czapski Antoni, gen. mjr.
The image at the left presents Royal Prince Dragoons around 1732 in the uniform of the Saxon pattern of 1729. It was introduced in the Polish Crown army around 1730 & was evidently in use till 1764.
In 1776 the regiment was converted into 3th Foot regiment (regiment pieczy Krolewicza)