|Belagerung von Philipsburg 1676|
by Romeyn de Hooghe
(CLICK TO ENLARGE)
Reicharmee under GFM Prinz Karl V of Lothringen numbered about 32,000 in the April of 1676 at the start of the operations against Philipsburg. The army laid siege on the Philipsburg on the 1 (or 11) May of 1676. The garrison under Du Fay was of 2,298 infantry & 466 cavalry with 100 guns. Karl Lothringen successfully repealed attempts of the French army of Rhein under Marshal Luxembeurg to relief the siege. Meanwhile siege forces under Markgrave Herman von Baden made the garrison to capitulate after several severe attacks on the 9 of September 1676.
Infantry (12): Souches, Pio, Keyserstein (half), Kuigge (half), Alt-Grana, Neu-Grana, Portia, Starenbergh, Serini, Straim, Stadel (Reus), Mansfeld (Lesli) – total around 18,000